Scotland was amazing!! There's no other word... well, there's probably lots of other words, but none that sums up my amazing 3 day trip so succinctly.
I left Lyon via TGV headed to Paris-Gare de Lyon. My train left around 7:30 in the morning and while I was slightly groggy I was excited to be on my way. To be honest, I didn't really know what to expect of Scotland. I had never had any desire to go and when this trip randomly popped up it was more of a "why not" than a "hell yeah! I've always wanted to go there!!" But I was excited to be leaving France at the very least. Don't get me wrong, I love it here... I've just been feeling frustrated lately and it would be nice to take a little break.
As I pulled in to Paris two hours later I felt even more excited. This is Paris!!! I know that Paris isn't the greatest place in the world, but it is a great city and I couldn't help but think that even though I was just passing through, any trip that started in Paris HAD to be a good trip! (This also made me really excited to go to Paris just after Christmas with my sister!!! That will be fun!!) This elation continued as I waited in line to buy my ticket for the RER to change train stations. It even remained as I stood, confused on the platform trying to figure out which RER was the right RER. It remained up until the moment when I started to panic that my train from Paris Gare du Nord to Beavais (where my flight would be leaving from) was not there. I looked on the departure board-- no train was leaving at that time. I looked at the vois (platforms), no train to Beauvais. I only had 7 minutes to find my train and board it-- yup, tight connections-- par for the course when you have so many legs to your journey. I asked one of the workers and they looked it up and gave me the correct voi number-- I then ran (looking like a fool with a back pack on my back and all that jazz) to voi 22 where nothing was posted regarding any train whatsoever. What? What was going on?? I asked some guy and he said he was taking the same train, no worries, it hadn't arrived yet. Breath. It's ok. Didn't last-- 2 seconds later, "Bum, bum, bum" sounds the start of an important announcement and sure enough my train has been canceled. In fact, all trains going to Beauvais are canceled until 16:something-- much too late for me to catch my flight. FAIL!!
So I follow the guy to the Welcome desk and the lady tells him there is nothing she can do but I go up and as nicely (after the now angry french man stormed away) and as not panicked as I can manage I asked if there was any other way to get to Beauvais. I had heard there was a bus, did she know anything about a bus. Her colleague heard me and said, yes, there was a bus that left from some place out by La Defense. She gave me directions and I thanked them kindly then speed walked back to the RER, went back one stop, switched to a normal Metro line and took that several stops, then got off and walked, following signs for the bus to the Beauvais Airport. I was worried that my fantastic luck would continue and I would watch the bus pull away in time to realize that the next wouldn't leave for hours and would still miss my flight. UGH Frustration with France!
But holding out the slightest bit of hope paid off and I bought a cheap 13 Euro ticket direct to the airport. I boarded a bus and was on my way in less than ten minutes. Breath. I would make the flight after all!! Now I was really ready to take a break from France.
I got to the airport, checked in for my flight, ate lunch, boarded, flew to Glasgow-Preswick Airport, and got on yet another train- this one headed to Edinburgh (via Glasgow central). I was told that my plane ticket would save me 1/2 price on my train ticket and I could buy them onboard. Sure enough, when the guy came around it would only cost me 6 and change to get to Edinburgh. Great. I pulled out the Euros and he just looked at me and in his polite Scottish accent said, "We don't take Euros, we use pounds in this country." FAIL! How could I have forgotten that they don't use Euros in this part of Europe!?!? Big Opps! Luckily, I could pay for my ticket by card and then a lovely Scottish couple offered to show the way from Glasgow
Central to Glasgow- Queen Street (I had to change stations- it's about a 5 minute walk). They were so nice and despite the husband's heavy accent we had a nice simple conversation and they were pleased to know that I wouldn't be traveling alone throughout Scotland. It was safe, but they had daughters and would hope that some nice couple would help them out if they were ever in a strange city. They left me at Queen Street station and I boarded my next small train.
Finally, around 5 pm I arrived in Edinburgh. I found a place where I could ask for a map and if someone could point me in the right direction for my hostel. I found Scottish people to be extremely nice!!! I made it to the hostel and checked in without any trouble. Then I called Shawn, the guy I would be meeting up with for this trip. He was working in London this semester and was taking a bus up, arriving at the hostel around 7:30. When he showed up it we shared a great all-American hug with all the excitement of being in a foreign country!!! Once again, the excitement had returned. This was going to be a fun trip!
We went and had dinner at a place where they have super cheap deals for people staying at our hostel. All we had to do was flash our hostel cards and we got a special menu with discount deals. Shawn was brave and ordered Haggis. I tried his, it wasn't bad, but I ordered a burger- simple and difficult to find in France. Already I was feeling more at home!
Shawn and I wandered the streets of Edinburgh, taking photos and chatting, then returned to the hostel for an early night. Our tour started the next day and we knew we needed to get some sleep.
I am leaving you here... I know, just when it all is about to get REALLY GOOD!!! But I am going to try to get pictures up and ready to share too. I promise that I will get you more of the story ASAP!! Along with pictures. Patience is a virtue ;)
Love and Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Elizabeth
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire