mercredi 19 novembre 2008

Think Positive

It has been an emotional few days- death of my computer (which I knew, but still... you'd think they could have told me 2 weeks ago when they told me I needed a new mother board that it wasn't covered under my warranty instead of waiting for me to transfer my account to France before dropping that bomb), Carte de Sejour problems, general homesickness and general frustration with the French (who know, that whole- let's not work on a Monday- thing, even when our posted hours claim we do actually work on a Monday, and other such frustrations)

But I have been trying to look on the bright side and not be frustrated. I have been trying to remember all the things I LIKE about France and why it is I decided to fly across a very large ocean away from all I know and love to come here. The crappiness of the weather has not been helping. It's not as cold as it is back home, but it's gloomy.

And while the weather is not likely to improve where it is that I'm heading, I think this brief vacation (I know, I never work really) will be refreshing- it will help me remember that I actually do love Europe despite the fact that the shower and the toilet are in different rooms, their juice cartons glug and spill, they take 2 hour lunch breaks so you can't ever get anything done and no one ever is able to give you a straight answer to any question you ever ask... breath... I do love Europe.

And Scotland will prove this to me! Scotland, despite the cold bitter winds I see in my near future, will be a lovely (to use the fantastic British English term that seems to somehow have slipped out of American vernacular, along with trousers and jumper) trip that will remind me of the wonders of history that Europe holds and the abundance of culture it has to share. I'm guessing it will also point me in the direction of some marvelous little pubs where I can experience Scottish culture first hand. ;) And with any luck, I will even uncover some Galloway plaid-- you know, make Pop proud.


And with that I'm off to pack my bags and get ready for my early departure from Lyon in the morning- it will be a long travel day, but, with any luck, well worth the effort.

Aucun commentaire: