jeudi 19 février 2009

A little late and not edited at all...

Hi all! I know I'm getting a little behind, but I find it hard to blog while on vacation... so what I've posted here I actually wrote on the 8th, while in Torre Del Mar, Spain (about 40 minutes outside of Malaga). I would usually go through and edit it before posting, but I'm tired and I feel like I should give you SOMETHING to read, even if it's late in coming. I plan on taking the notes I made and turning them into real emails/blogs sometime this weekend, so look forward to that. Right now I'm in Toulouse but I'll be back in Lyon tomorrow. Hope all is well with everyone back home!!! Take care :) Love and Hugs!

8 February 2009 (Saturday and Sunday)

After a light but delicious dinner of vegetable soup, salad and tortilla- a pancake of sorts made with egg and potatoes which reminds me almost of a French galette- We, Robert, Mercedes and I, sat down in front of the television to watch some news. CNN, Fox and The Daily Show all centered their news (or comedy) for the evening on Obama and thus I was left knowing everything there was to know about our new president and how his first few weeks in the office were transpiring and still nothing about the outside world. Since being in France and being without television I have seen and heard so little news that if someone had shot the Queen of England I still would most likely not have known- at least until one of the teachers at school said something about it and I would have to shamefully admit that I had not yet heard of the tragedy.

Nonetheless we watched with interest and curiosity at how the country was getting along- adoring, at least on my part, to see and hear of news from back home in the lovely English language, free from the troubles of translation and missed meanings.

After the news programs we turned on a movie, “The Oxford Murders” with Frodo Baggins… I mean Elijah Wood. The movie, started around 10 or 10:30 at night, was interesting and intriguing enough in the beginning only to become sadly more and more twisted and awkward as time went on. In the end I felt thoroughly disappointed in the film but pleased that I had made it, at least, until Mercedes’ and Robert’s bedtime despite my early morning and a day of travel.

Both of my lovely and welcoming hosts informed me that in their retirement they have gotten used to a certain sort of schedule and have a tendency to sleep in. Sleep at sea level, I was informed, was a very easy sleep- calm and refreshing it could last for hours if one wasn’t woken by the sun or some sort of alarm. And thus I woke up around 10:00 in the morning, feeling, as they had predicted, relaxed and refreshed. I came out of my room to find Robert on the back porch, basking in the sunlight which was already comfortably warming the Costa del Sol. He suggested that I join him, with the addition of a blanket as it was “a little chilly”. I did bring out a blanket and, as it turned out, the wind did create a little chill. But the sun warmed my face so marvelously and we passed the next hour or so chatting relaxedly in this breezy morning warmth.

Around 11 or so Robert decided to wake Mercedes and I went off to take a shower. We then ate pancakes—correction, I ate pancakes, prepared graciously by my hosts who apparently don’t really eat breakfast. Mercedes had some toast with olive oil. Robert didn’t eat anything. By noon it was time to get a little work done- Robert went to the piano to work on some compositions and I went to their computer to check my email. Responding to my friends to the melodic tunes of Robert on the piano was a delightful way to spend my time, but as the window next to me offered a perfect view of the beach and the shining sun I decided I needed to get outdoors at last. I grabbed my coat and a camera and told Mercedes of plans, asking if she’d like to join me on a beach-side walk.

Together we strolled along the path just next to the water, quietly content in each other’s company, speaking when feeling there was something to say, but otherwise just enjoying the scenery. I was glad to have the jacket as the wind had kicked up and while the sun was still shining brightly, the temperature was only about 55 degrees. This, lovely and spring-ish for me, was apparently cold here and I saw several people donning thicker coats or sweaters while I strolled in my skirt. We stopped near the docks and I had the urge to know exactly how cold the water was. Despite Mercedes nervousness that I was slip and fall in or sprain and ankle on the rocks I removed my shoes and climbed down the few rocks to sit at the water’s edge. Cool and refreshing for my feet, the water would have been much too cold for a swim.

We returned back to the house and Mercedes prepared lunch of baked potatoes with a cheese sauce, broccoli and sliced chicken. Yummy.  After that we all took in the wonderful Spanish tradition of the Siesta.

Being the first to wake up 2 hours later I took my book and sat quietly in the living room until, another hour later, Robert came down and woke up Mercedes- who had taken her siesta from the comfort of her chair in the sitting room. I continued to read and actually picked up one of Robert’s own short stories, “A Cheap Domestic Airline,” and read that. It was very well written with an easy and flow to the description that made it easy to take in.

That brings us to now- it’s almost 10:00 and everyone is still at leisure- reading, watching television or journaling . At some point I think we’ll eat dinner, but I insisted that we follow the Spanish clock and eat whenever they would normally eat. I might be in for another movie this evening, we’ll see.

Tomorrow is Monday and I’m excited to go into the little town, explore the shops and take in the southern Spanish architecture.

Aucun commentaire: